Sunday, January 10, 2016

Crazy Catholic Question #64: Box City

What is Box City? A reflection written by Youth Group Teen Rachel Kociba:
Box city is a unique event that is held every two years here at CTR that aims to raise awareness about homelessness. High school teens sleep outside in boxes to gain some understanding of what homeless people go through each night. Since I am a Freshman, it was my first time participating. The experience I had during Box City was one like no other, and one I will never forget. My eyes were definitely opened to the way many people live.

Before the event, I was nervous. I was definitely out of my comfort zone. But the teens and adult volunteers were all very welcoming, and Mrs. Andridge was especially great at coordinating this event for all of us teens.

A man who had previously been homeless came to talk with us. I was taken aback by all the personal difficulties he had experienced. He had to give his first son up for adoption because he couldn’t support him. He knew he couldn’t go on living homeless. Over time, he made major improvements, from getting a job, to buying his first place to live, and then having another son. At the end of his visit he played a beautiful song on the piano for us. I couldn’t help but notice that the notes of the song and the themes of it went along with his life--the ups and downs. He has been writing it since he was very young, and continues to add to it as a life story in a song.

We then learned some of the reasons why people become homeless and what life is like being a person without a home. These facts were organized in a fun Jeopardy-like game; a clever way to get familiar with a topic like homelessness that is not always easy to talk about.

We talked about how people from certain backgrounds are more likely to become homeless. For example, a foster child or an adopted child, or people who only have one parent or parents who are not supportive, are more likely to end up homeless because they are missing strong family ties. Teens who turn to drugs are also more prone to struggle with homelessness.

After a light meal, we headed outside. There was frost covering the grass. Everyone brought a box, tarps, tape and some newspapers to make their box as warm as they could. I was lucky that I had packed layers of clothing to wear and warm blankets too. The boxes covered the front lawn of the church, and there was a bonfire where the adults stayed all night. We prayed around the fire for those who don’t have as much and aren’t as fortunate as us.

Then we headed into our boxes to gear up for the cold night ahead. I couldn’t even sit up straight in my box. I snuggled into my sleeping bag with a heavy blanket on top and finally fell asleep. The night seemed really long, but it was worth all that I gained from it.

In the morning, it was bright and beautiful out. Everyone was ready to get into the warm, welcoming church. After a much needed hot breakfast, we attended 9AM Mass, all sitting together. We all definitely bonded from the experience we had.

This experience made me especially thankful for all that I have--a warm home, clothes, food every day and other necessities that I often take for granted. It was good to pray for those who don’t have these everyday needs and its good to know that our help in donating food or volunteering at a soup kitchen can go a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment