Saturday, December 15, 2018

Crazy Catholic Question #159 - One week


AHHHHHHHH! One week until Christmas! AHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, I’m not sure this qualifies as a “question” per se, but it’s all I’ve been hearing, so I’m going to answer it like a question anyway. Deep breath gang. Christmas is indeed a week away.

Repeat after me: “I am God’s beloved. God’s favor rests on me…I am God’s beloved. God’s favor (i.e. approval) rests on me.” There is nothing I can do to earn this love and absolutely nothing I can do to lose it. God’s love and delight in me does not change if I don’t find the perfect gift for every person on my list, if my tree looks wonky because a string of lights decided to short out, if I can’t find the baby Jesus for our nativity set, or if I just don’t have the energy or desire to make those Christmas cookies this year. In the words of St. Julian of Norwich “All shall be well, all shall be well…For there is a Force of love moving through the universe That holds us fast and will never let us go.”

This is what we invite our kids to ponder in Faith Formation, and I would invite you to do the same: There has never been another person exactly like you in all of history…and there will never, EVER be another. You are a unique, one-of-a-kind work of art of our loving creator. Think of all the billions and billions of years it took for all the elements in the universe to come together, to create all the atoms that joined in perfect harmony to create your eyes, your smile, your laugh, your heart – the utter miracle that is your mind and body. God has been preparing and preparing, slowly, working and forming and shaping you to be a gift to the world at this very moment in time. You are the greatest gift you have to offer your family. Your presence is THE present your family wants most for Christmas. You might say “But, I’m such a mess right now.” Well, St. Paul tells us that God’s power is made perfect in our weakness – in other words, it’s our messy, broken bits that take us from a work-of-art to a masterpiece! Jesus invites us to take the leap and embrace this as truth.

If you enjoy the holiday hustle and bustle, then by all means, enjoy it! If you don’t, or maybe just aren’t “into it” this year, Jesus says “My peace I give you – MY peace, which transcends all understanding, is MY gift to YOU.” May I suggest we grab it with both hands! Maybe this little piece from Claire Jordan will ring true to you…

FIRST CORINTHIANS 13, CHRISTMAS VERSION

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.

Love stops the cooking to hug the child. Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.
Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens. Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way. Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return, but rejoices in giving to those who can't. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love NEVER fails.

Send your Crazy Catholic Question to Lisa Brown at dre@ctredeemer.org or read past columns at www.crazycatholicquestions.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment