Saturday, September 30, 2017

#117 - Chronic Busyness

What do you think Jesus would prescribe for our chronic “busyness” so prevalent in our culture today?

I don’t know about you, but when autumn arrives, my chest hurts. I look at my calendar and think “when am I going to squeeze in a shower?” I think many of us recognize how different our culture is from even 30 years ago. I miss being unplugged and unreachable, how about you? Anybody else answering emails at 2AM? I instruct my teenager to unplug and I know that is a key part of being a good parent these days, but if I’m honest with myself I also see how ridiculously hypocritical it is of me to demand of her.

In talking with other people, I’m quite confident that I’m not alone in feeling like we never have enough time to accomplish everything we want or need to do; to be truly present to those we love (evident too by the submission of this “not-so-crazy” question). The ticking clock has the urgency and alarm that reminds us of some late-night thriller movie. Getting a decent meal on the table every night, shuttling the kids to and from school and “sportsball” (what the nerdy folks in Portland call ALL sporting-like activities according to my cousin who lives there) in relatively clean clothes, meeting work deadlines, keeping our car insurance current, cleaning the gutters…and then we hear the Pope passionately urging us to thoughtfully contemplate our environment and the billions of people on this planet that have it waaaay worse than we could ever even imagine. I feel like such a whiner, missing God’s cues no matter how hard I try, because I know in the deepest part of my being I must do something when 2-year old refugees are dying to escape war. There is little doubt that the pace of our life sometimes causes us to lose touch with what is most important.

I’m not sure what Jesus would “prescribe” for our culture but we can and do observe that during his earthly ministry, Jesus himself escaped the busyness of the crowds occasionally to pray, renew His strength and focus. Mark 6:31 reads “Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to [His disciples], ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’” Jesus knew the importance of stopping, eating and finding our calm in order to hear God’s still, quiet voice over the roar of our lives. But I don’t think this stopping and paying attention comes naturally to us these days. The pace of our lives is simply not conducive to spiritual knowing.

Romans 2:12 reads “Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God's will is—what is good, acceptable, and perfect.” So, with that, though I don’t want to add yet another thing to your “to-do” list, I do want to invite you to reserve four Thursday evenings this Lent in your calendar now (Feb. 22 – Mar. 15, soup supper & childcare provided) to stop and “renew our minds” together as a community. To spirituality nourish ourselves so that we may hear the will of God more clearly and hone our ability to ruthlessly prioritize!

Send your "Crazy Catholic Questions" to Lisa Brown at dre@ctredeemer.org or read past columns at: http://crazycatholicquestions.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment