Monday, September 29, 2014

#4: Eucharistic Prayer

Could you explain what's going on theologically during the Eucharistic prayer? I have a grasp of the rest of the Mass, but I feel like there's a lot of depth to that section that I’m missing…

I remember one time when my daughter was about 8 years old she said to me, with no intention of malice, "Mom, there is nothing I don't like more than going to church." At first I was really upset, feeling like I was a total failure as a Mom, as a Minister, etc. But then I started to ask her some questions. "Tell me, do you like the donuts?" and she answered "Well, YEAH! Of course I love the donuts!" Then I asked "Do you like seeing your friends at church?" And she thought for a moment and said "Yes, I do like seeing my friends...MOST of them anyway." I nodded and appreciated her candor on that one. "Do you like going with all your friends to listen to the stories from the bible during Liturgy of the Word?" "Yes, I like that too...and I REALLY like when I get to read!" she said with excitement. I continued my inquiry. "Do you like the music?" And she said "Yes, I love hearing the instruments and I really like to sing." So, puzzled, I asked, "Well, I'm having trouble understanding...what part of Mass DON'T you like?" And she said with a big sigh of exhaustion "It's that LONG PART IN THE MIDDLE!"

On further questioning, the part that she didn't enjoy was in fact our Eucharistic prayer  - and I suspect she is not alone. Many adults (including myself) have been known to wander to our grocery lists during that "long part in the middle" because we hear it each week and it may even strike our modern ears as a bit cryptic or dated. It’s human to drift now and then in our prayer, but sometimes when we are “in the zone” and really listen to the beautiful words of this, our most treasured ancient prayer, it’s pretty amazing….



A few disclaimers:

1 - Our Theology of Eucharist is a never ending mystery to be discovered. We have only scratched the surface of its meaning and significance…so, in short, there really is no definitive answer to this question. “Explaining” a prayer is like “explaining” a deep, long kiss…can’t be done, it just has to be entered into and experienced.

2 - It’s silly to think I can say anything of any import on this dense topic in 500 words or less, so here are a few book recommendations: Nouwen’s Life of the Beloved: (ANYTHING by Nouwen is worthwhile), Rolheiser’s Our One Great Act of Fidelity (same goes for Rolheiser, my personal favorite), Fitzgerald’s Handbook of the Mass. All are available used on Amazon for cheap!

3 - I am not a liturgist. Fr. Joe is an amazingly gifted and informed liturgist and he no doubt could respond to this question with more depth and nuance. But, he has his own column….

So for the next couple weeks I’ll be posting some interesting tid-bits of history and theology about our Eucharistic prayer designed to deepen our appreciation and understanding of that “long part in the middle.” But, this wordy intro used up all my space for this week….






No comments:

Post a Comment